Kubernetes has gained a lot of popularity in recent times due to its phenomenal application in orchestrating containers. Storage plays one of a crucial part in overall Kubernetes architecture. However, in storage, running stateful services is challenging within the containers because of its ephemeral nature. In order to address this challenge, Kubernetes uses volume plugin which is of two types- in-tree and out-of-tree.
In this eBrief we will explore the above mentioned and alternative methodologies used by Kubernetes. We have reviewed Kubernetes for data storage and as an enabler for maximizing the efficiency of management and deployment of the containers, specifically in the light of stateful services. The detailed list of the topics are as follow:
- Kubernetes volume Vs Persistent volume
- Kubernetes volume plugins
- Dynamic volume provisioning
- Out tree volume plugins
- Rook and Ceph to Enable Block/File/Object Storage Support
- Project and products related to Kubernetes storage